Sharesight20 top 20 trades in US stocks – October 2020
Disclaimer: The below article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. Always check with your financial adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
Welcome to the October 2020 edition of the Sharesight20USA monthly trading snapshot, where we look at Sharesight users’ top 20 trades in US stocks on the Nasdaq, NYSE and AMEX over the month.
In October’s Sharesight20USA snapshot, Nasdaq heavyweights Tesla (TSLA), Apple (AAPL), Amazon (AMZN) and Microsoft (MSFT) led the buy and sell trades, with investors feeling positive ahead of earnings reports for Apple and Amazon, while Microsoft’s share price has remained relatively flat despite its impressive Q1 2021 earnings. The past month also saw many trades on the NYSE, with Nio (NIO), Fastly (FSLY) and Square (SQ) being popular buy and sell trades for Sharesight users.
Let’s look at the news behind the key stocks in this month’s snapshot:
- Tesla confirms plan to spend up to $12b on new electric car and battery factories
- US safety regulator eyes Tesla’s new self-driving technology
- Dispute over Chinese recall of nearly 30,000 Tesla vehicles
- Tesla’s SA battery fully operational; output expanded by 50%
- Tesla’s NSW big battery project expected to accelerate transition to renewables
- Investors await release of Apple’s latest earnings report
- Apple share price rises as investors await iPhone reveal
- iPhone reveal fails to impress investors; share price drops by 4%
- Analysts bullish on Amazon stock due to expansion and logistics strength
- Amazon stock rises in anticipation of Prime Day
- What should investors expect in Amazon’s Q3 earnings report?
- Microsoft reports strong Q1 2021 results: Revenue up by 12%
- Microsoft partners with Adobe and c3.ai to develop Salesforce contender
- Nio shares drop as US political woes send stock market into chaos
- Nio to develop its own computing chips for autonomous driving
- Nio stock jumps 26% on bullish JP Morgan report
- Fastly stock plummets by 37% on lack of spending from TikTok owner ByteDance
- Investors warned off Fastly stock due to TikTok turbulence
- Square share price surges after company invests $50 million in bitcoin
- What could Square’s bitcoin investment mean for investors?
- Square rival Paypal could surpass Square’s cryptocurrency compatibility
- AMD exceeds expectations in Q3 earnings report
- AMD to buy rival chip maker Xilinx in $35 million all-stock deal
- Nasdaq defies stock market downturn, fuelled by AMD
- Thousands of job cuts at AT&T; more to come
- Speculation that job cuts will hurt, not help, AT&T’s future growth
- Zoom stock continues to rise as US Coronavirus cases worsen
- Zoom launches end-to-end encryption product for free and paid users
- Executives sell $580 million-worth of Zoom stock
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including Performance, Portfolio Diversity, Contribution Analysis and Future Income (upcoming dividends)
- Run tax reports including Taxable Income (dividends/distributions), Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada), Traders Tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
How InstructAnt improves client service with Sharesight and AdviserLogic
We talk to InstructAnt, a small accounting and financial planning firm that uses the Sharesight/AdviserLogic integration to improve client service.
Australian ETF distribution components now available for FY22/23
Sharesight now has updated ETF distribution component information for the FY22/23 Australian tax year for most Australian ETFs.
Sharesight product updates – September 2023
Major updates for the past month include the rollout of our new exposure report, plus support for five new brokers and over 80,000 Luxembourg funds.