Sharesight20 top 20 trades on ASX – August 2020
Disclaimer: The below article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. Always check with your financial adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
Welcome to the August 2020 edition of the Sharesight20ASX monthly trading snapshot, where we look at the top 20 trades Sharesight users made on the ASX during the month.
Sharesight20 top 20 ASX trades August 2020
In August’s Sharesight20ASX snapshot, Mesoblast (ASX: MSB) dominates the list of buy and sell trades, as investors cash in on the hype around the company’s ongoing clinical trials. Interest in the buy-now-pay-later (BNPL) sector also continues from last month, as main players Afterpay (ASX: APT) and Zip Co (ASX: Z1P) make big moves towards international expansion.
Let’s look at the news behind some of the key stocks in this month’s snapshot:
Mesoblast Ltd (ASX: MSB)
- Share prices soar as Mesoblast progresses on Covid-19 vaccine and stem cell treatment
- ASX propped up by Mesoblast share price gains
- Business booming for Mesoblast during Covid-19
- Mesoblast share price drops after FDA reports released on stem cell therapy
Afterpay Ltd (ASX: APT)
- Afterpay lands $80 million European expansion deal
- Afterpay breaks records as demand for BNPL market share grows
- Klarna to rival Afterpay in the US market
- Afterpay doubles expected earnings
- Australians swapping credit cards for BNPL apps
CSL Ltd (ASX: CSL)
- Bosch pens materials handling deal with CSL
- CSL predicts weak FY21 performance
- CSL increases dividend price
Zip Co Ltd (ASX: Z1P)
- Shareholders to vote on Zip Co’s acquisition of QuadPay
- Zip Co has a record-breaking Q4
- Zip Co targeting US growth
- ‘BNPL bubble’ not a concern, says Zip Co
Telstra (ASX: TLS)
- Telstra appoints Expert360 founder as director
- Telstra dividend up in the air
- FY20 profits see 14% drop
- Telstra invests $1B in new tech stack
Commonwealth Bank (ASX: CBA)
- CBA dividend payout better than expected despite profit loss
- CBA served with class action; accused of insurance rort
- Big pay rise for CBA executives despite falling FY20 profits
- CBA temporarily closes 114 branches Australia-wide due to Covid-19 downturn
Kogan.com Ltd (ASX: KGN)
- Kogan profits surge 56% as shoppers turn online
- Founders sell $163 million worth of shares
- Kogan joins JB Hi-Fi as best-faring Australian retailers amid Covid-19 downturn
Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC)
- More Westpac money laundering and counter-terrorism breaches discovered
ResMed Inc (ASX: RMD)
- ResMed optimistic on future post-Covid-19
- ResMed posts strong Q4 results
- ResMed joins list of Covid-boosted businesses
National Australia Bank (ASX: NAB)
- Q3 results better than expected for NAB
- Thousands of NAB jobs on the line amid company restructure
- NAB slashes branch hours in regional towns
Track your investment portfolio with Sharesight
Get access to Sharesight20 insights like this by tracking your investment portfolio with Sharesight. Built for the needs of investors like you:
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including Performance, Portfolio Diversity, Contribution Analysis and Future Income (upcoming dividends)
- Run tax reports including Taxable Income (dividends/distributions), Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada), Traders Tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
Power your financial advice business with Sharesight and AdviserLogic
Sharesight and Morningstar AdviserLogic have partnered to help advisers power their business with comprehensive reporting, research tools, CRM and more.
What is debt recycling and how does it work?
Debt recycling is a process that can potentially make you more money by turning non-deductible debt into deductible debt. How does it work? Keep reading.
Top 50 finance and investing podcasts in 2023
The Sharesight team has put together a list of the top 50 investing, personal finance and business news podcasts worldwide.