Sharesight20 - Top 20 trades on the ASX in 2018
Our Sharesight20 snapshots of the top 20 trades on the ASX and NZX markets by Sharesight users always make for interesting reading. In this post we’re going to explore the top 20 trades on the ASX in 2018 and build a Sharesight portfolio of these 20 shares to find out how it would have performed during the year.
After a turbulent year, and announcing a major shake up of operations, Telstra claimed the title of the most-traded ASX stock by Sharesight users in 2018. The second most traded stock was VAS (Vanguard’s Australian Shares ETF which seeks to track the return of the S&P/ASX 300 Index), followed by NAB in third place.
Interestingly, the Sharesight20 2018 snapshot of the top 20 trades on the NZX saw ETFs dominate the top 3 spots, whereas only 2 ETFs made the top 20 trades on the ASX. As mentioned above, VAS held the number 2 position, and VGS (Vanguards International Shares) just barely made the top 10 by being the 9th most-traded holding.
Let’s explore how the investment returns a portfolio built from these 20 stocks would have performed in 2018 before we dive in to some of the news behind the interest in these stocks.
If you held a portfolio of these 20 stocks on the ASX in 2018 (5% weighting each) you would have seen a respectable total return of 8.17% in 2018, with 5.24% of that return from dividends. Here’s how each stock in the portfolio performed:
|Sharesight20ASX 2018 - Performance Report 2018-01-01 through 2018-12-31|
|Code||Name||Capital Gain %||Dividends %||Total Return %|
|A2M||The A2 Milk Company||40.03%||0.00%||40.03%|
|ANZ||Anz Banking Grp Ltd||-14.89%||7.95%||-6.94%|
|BHP||Bhp Group Limited||15.76%||7.69%||23.45%|
|MQG||Macquarie Group Ltd||9.05%||6.41%||15.46%|
|NAB||National Aust. Bank||-18.60%||9.57%||-9.03%|
|QBE||Qbe Insurance Group||-5.43%||2.75%||-2.68%|
|RHC||Ramsay Health Care||-17.67%||2.93%||-14.74%|
|RIO||Rio Tinto Limited||3.51%||7.53%||11.03%|
|TPM||Tpg Telecom Limited||-1.98%||0.87%||-1.11%|
|VAS||Vngd Aus Shares||-7.38%||5.82%||-1.56%|
|VGS||Vngd Intl Shares||-2.04%||2.85%||0.81%|
|WBC||Westpac Banking Corp||-20.13%||8.57%||-11.56%|
|WOW||Woolworths Group Ltd||7.77%||5.39%||13.16%|
- Entered into a deal with Matrix Partners on US expansion
- Introduced a2 Platinum Premium pregnancy formula in May
- Fonterra’s Anchor began distributing A2 Milk branded fresh milk to New Zealand
- Renewed strategic arrangement with China state farm at official signing ceremony with Hon Steven Ciobo
- Established new "Chief people officer" role with appointment of Lisa Barquest
- BHP Board approved South Flank project in Pilbara
- Completed sale of onshore US shale oil assets
- Announced they were successful in bids for blocks in the offshore orphan basin in Eastern Canada
- Approved west Barracouta gas project in Bass Strait
- Shifted focus of wealth management division to private clients business in the high net worth segment
- Issued a £2.0 billion loan facility, including a £500m facility to finance green projects
- Acquired ValueInvest whose teams manage more than €69.7 billion in equities
- IMF Bentham discontinued funding of potential shareholder class action
- Entered new 15 year alliance with Caltex
- Maurice Blackburn commended shareholder class action with offshore funding
- Agreed to sell 540 Woolworths-owned fuel convenience sites to EG Group for A$1.725 billion
- Agreed to divest the Homebase business in the United Kingdom and Ireland to a company associated with Hilco Capital
- Agreed to sell 13.2% interest in Quadrant energy
- Completed Wesfarmers demerger
- Announced the completion of the sale of its K-Mart and Auto services business to continental AG
- Launched Melbourne flagship store
- Ascension and Ramsay Healthcare announced development of global supply chain joint venture
- Ramsay Générale de Santé launched unsolicited bid for capio AB
- Signed digital transformation deal with Rabobank
- Confirmed 5G partnership with Eriksson as it launched sites in Canberra, Adelaide and Perth
- Extended Queensland bushfire assistance package
- Announced the provision of Australia’s first live 4K fiber contribution delivery for Fox Sports for 4K Cable Channel
- Awarded over $2 Million to help 17 young Australians become future leaders
- Provided relief package for customers impacted by natural disaster across Australia
- Launched world’s first certified Green Tailored Deposit
Get access to insights like this by tracking your investment portfolio with Sharesight. Built for the needs of investors like you:
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Sharesight automatically tracks your daily price & currency fluctuations, as well as handles corporate actions such as dividends and share splits
- Run powerful tax reports built for investors, including, Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada) Traders Tax (NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
How InstructAnt improves client service with Sharesight and AdviserLogic
We talk to InstructAnt, a small accounting and financial planning firm that uses the Sharesight/AdviserLogic integration to improve client service.
Australian ETF distribution components now available for FY22/23
Sharesight now has updated ETF distribution component information for the FY22/23 Australian tax year for most Australian ETFs.
Sharesight product updates – September 2023
Major updates for the past month include the rollout of our new exposure report, plus support for five new brokers and over 80,000 Luxembourg funds.