Sharesight20 October trading snapshot
A number of weeks ago we debuted the first Sharesight20 weekly trading snapshots, a weekly update of the top 20 shares traded by the Sharesight userbase on the ASX (#Sharesight20ASX) and the NZX (#Sharesight20NZX) over the past 7 days.
Today we launch the Sharesight20 monthly trading snapshot where we look at the top 20 trades on both the ASX and NZX markets among the Sharesight userbase during the current month and dig a little deeper into the news behind these movements.
Sharesight20ASX October snapshot
Sharesight20ASX October buys
Among the top 20 transactions by number of trades on the ASX during October (1st to 25th), we saw buy interest in Telstra Corporation (ASX: TLS), Woolworths Limited (ASX: WOW), Vanguard’s Australian Shares Index ETF (ASX: VAS) and Aristocrat Leisure Limited (ASX: ALL). Let’s dive into the news surrounding these movements:
- Shares hit a 5 year low on the 26th of September
- Telstra announced a cut to their dividend
- Telstra Chairman warns of tough times ahead
- Woolworths “Back on Top” of Coles?
- Woolworths AGM coming up November 23rd
Vanguard Australian Shares Index ETF
- Trading ex-dividend October 2nd
- Dividend Paid 17th October of $1.008811 per share
Aristocrat Leisure Limited
- Aristocrat obtained regulatory approval to acquire Israeli-based social gaming company Plarium Global Limited
Sharesight20ASX October sells
Mineral Resources (ASX:MIN) and Rio Tinto (ASX: RIO) had large sell-offs by the Sharesight userbase in October. Here’s some related news:
- Hazer signs heads of agreement with mineral resources
- Rio Tinto and its former CEO Tom Albanese have been charged with fraud
- Rio Tinto was fined more than £27 million by the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
Sharesight20ASX October notable mention
Australian hotel chain Mantra group (ASX: MTR) attracted a significant quantity of both buy and sell activity this month, with a takeover bid launched by French hotel giant Accor (EPA: AC).
- Australian hotel group Mantra targeted for takeover by Accor with $920 million bid
- Accor’s takeover of Mantra would create biggest hotel group in Australia
- Analysis: what to expect next in AccorHotels’ acquisition of Mantra Group
- Australia’s competition watchdog to review Accor’s planned buyout of Mantra
Sharesight20NZX October snapshot
Sharesight20NZX October buys
On the New Zealand stock exchange in October we saw a bias towards buy trades in the Sharesight20NZX with Auckland International Airport Limited (NZE: AIA), Fletcher Building (NZE: FBU) and the NZ Top 50 index ETF (NZE: FNZ) topping the buys during the period.
Auckland International Airport Limited
- Auckland Airport defends $1.8b spending plan
Fletcher Building Limited
- Announced the appointment of Ross Taylor as chief executive officer (CEO), effective 22 November 2017
- Building division suffers further NZ$160m earnings hit
- Fletcher Building’s Ralph Norris avoids exorcism over Kiwi giant’s disastrous year
Sharesight20NZX October sells
Xero Limited (NZE: XRO) and Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Corp Ltd (NZE: FPH) saw marginally more sell activity than buy trades among the Sharesight userbase, with Rabobank Nederland (NZDE:RBOHA) redeeming its securities from the market (and seeing only sell trades recorded in Sharesight as a result).
- Rabobank Nederland is redeeming its NZ$900m perpetual, resettable bond issue after a decade
- NZX Main Board and Debt Market - Notice pursuant to Listing Rule 7.12.1
Don’t miss the Sharesight20 weekly market snapshots
Want the weekly Sharesight20 ASX and NZX weekly trading snapshots every Monday? Join the Sharesight community now to make sure don’t miss out on a snapshot.
With over $1.9B USD worth of investments actively tracked by the userbase, it’s time you sign up to Sharesight and start tracking the true performance of your investments today!