Sharesight20 top 20 trades in NZX stocks for 2020
Each year, Sharesight20 looks back at the top 20 buy and sell trades made by Sharesight users throughout the year. Welcome to the 2020 edition of the Sharesight20NZX snapshot, where we explore the top trades users have made in stocks on the NZX this year, plus the market-moving news behind these stocks.
This yearly Sharesight20NZX snapshot saw the decline of New Zealand’s major airport and aviation stocks, Auckland International Airport (NZX: AIA) and Air New Zealand (NZX: AIR), both of which were heavily traded by Sharesight users. Other popular trades included blue chip stocks a2 Milk (NZX: ATM), Fisher & Paykel Healthcare (NZX: FPH) and Infratil (NZX: IFT), with investors taking advantage of lower-than-usual share prices due to the Coronavirus pandemic. Overall, while the NZX plummeted at the height of New Zealand’s first Coronavirus lockdown in March, the NZX top 50 has buoyed back to reach historic highs – making it one of the best-performing markets of the developed world in 2020.
Let’s look at the news behind the key stocks in this year’s snapshot:
- March: AirNZ granted $900m COVID bailout; plans to cut 3500 jobs
- June: AirNZ warns of more layoffs, less flights
- August: Second lockdown puts further pressure on AirNZ
- September: Draws from government credit; prepares for capital raise
- December: NZ plans to announce Trans-Tasman bubble in 2021
- February: AIA records $147m half year profit; announces $1.2b infrastructure overhaul
- March: AIA Coronavirus cost cuts include hiring freeze, pay cuts and cancelled dividend
- April: AIA completes $1.2b equity raise; plans to use money for COVID recovery
- July: AIA one of world’s busiest airports during pandemic
- August: Profits down $80 million for AIA
- September: E-commerce at the centre of AIA’s COVID recovery strategy
- February: a2 Milk CEO certain company can meet COVID-19 demand surge
- March: a2 announces partnership with AgriFoods for Canada expansion
- August: a2 sees record-breaking profits, spurred by ‘pantry stocking’ amid pandemic
- September: Updated FY21 outlook as a2’s daigou business impacted by COVID
- October: a2 weighs down the NZX; loses all gains earned during COVID period
- November: "Short-term softness" expected for a2; earnings forecast uncertain
- December: a2 share price plummets more than 20% following forecasted revenue decline
- March: Fisher & Paykel Healthcare profit forecast upgraded due to increased respirator demand
- June: Shares surge following 37% increase in annual profit; company now worth $20b
- September: Profit boosted by demand surge for respirators
- November: Profit skyrockets by 86%, propped up by COVID
- April: Infratil downgrades profit guidance due to COVID-19
- May: Plans to buy majority stake in Qscan Radiology Clinics
- July: Infratil succeeds in $300m capital raise
- December: Rejects AustralianSuper’s $5.1b takeover offer; claims price too low
- May: Z Energy to launch $330m capital raise after $88m loss
- July: Warns half-year earnings could be halved compared to last year
- August: Z Energy to cut concierge jobs
- November: Z Energy reports $58m first-half loss; blames COVID demand issues
- September: Heartland reduces dividend despite better-than-expected earnings
- October: Heartland introduces lowest home loan rate in NZ history
- February: Record-breaking first-half profit for Meridian Energy
- May: Meridian share price drops 13% after Rio Tinto announces Tiwai Point plant closure
- August: Meridian profit gains due to record power generation
- December: Meridian exploring green hydrogen options following Tiwai Point plant closure
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including Performance, Portfolio Diversity, Contribution Analysis and Future Income (upcoming dividends)
- Run tax reports including Taxable Income (dividends/distributions), Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada), Traders Tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
Disclaimer: The above article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. Always check with your financial adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
Top 20 NZX trades by Sharesight users – September 2023
Welcome to the September 2023 edition of Sharesight’s monthly NZX trading snapshot, where we look at the top 20 trades Sharesight users made on the NZX.
Get ausbiz market insights in Sharesight
Stay on top of your ASX investments with convenient access to the ausbiz news feed, right in your Sharesight portfolio.
Track your Webull trades with Sharesight
If you trade via Webull, you can automatically import your trading data to Sharesight, making it easy to track the performance of your investment portfolio.