Sharesight20 top 20 trades on ASX & NZX - May 2019
Welcome to the May 2019 edition of the Sharesight20 monthly trading snapshot (click here for April 2019’s Sharesight20), where we look at the top 20 trades on both the ASX and NZX markets among the Sharesight userbase during the current month, and dig a little deeper into the news behind these movements.
Let’s dive into May’s top trades.
Sharesight20 top 20 ASX trades May 2019
After showing interest in buy now, pay later startup, Splitit (ASX: SPT) over the last few months, Sharesight users returned to longtime favourite Afterpay Touch (ASX: APT) alongside rival Zip Co (ASX: Z1P), with the former surging to the top of this month’s Sharesight20 snapshot. Some of the highlights in April’s top 20 trades on the ASX include:
Afterpay Touch (ASX: APT)
- Revealed 'quick-off-the-mark’ UK strategy
- Forced to change name for UK launch by Dutch rival
- Signed a US$300 million receivables funding facility with Citi
National Australia Bank (ASX: NAB)
- Launched online fintech collaboration portal to "solve customer-facing problems"
- Share price is up over 10% during May - mostly on the back of the federal election result
- Conceded its 99¢-a-share dividend was no longer sustainable
- Former NAB banker who defrauded the bank for $640k jailed for 8 months
Macquarie Group (ASX: MQG)
- Announced a record full-year profit of $3 billion
- Tim Bishop the head of Macquarie Capital announced his departure from the firm
- Macquarie Capital announced co-heads to replace Tim - Daniel Wong and Michael Silverton
- More than 10 advisers have recently left the Macquarie Wealth Management division
Zip Co (ASX: Z1P)
- Announced partnership with Kmart Australia
- MasterCard announced it had acquired Vyze in move to counter Zip and Afterpay
- Zip Co valuation hit $1 billion, up from $330 million only 5 months prior
Sharesight20 top 20 NZX trades May 2019
Some of the April highlights in the NZX top 20 for April include:
Infratil Limited (NSX: IFT)
- Announced a takeover offer for Vodafone NZ worth NZ$3.4 billion
- Launched a NZ$400m equity raising to fund the Vodafone NZ acquisition
- Announced a final dividend of 11 cents per share, plus 2 cents per share of imputation credits
The a2 Milk Company (NZX: A2M)
- Confirmed its full-year guidance and outlined plans to double down on its marketing spend in the second half
- Rival Bubs Australia’s (ASX: BUB) share price has surged 177% in 2019
- a2 supplier Synlait received a worrying high court decision that overturned plans for a new processing plant in Pokeno
Trade Me NZ (NZX: TME)
- Trade Me Group was delisted from the NZX and taken over by Titan AcquisitionCo
- In the beginning, we had no idea: on the birth and growth of Trade Me
Track your investment portfolio with Sharesight
Get access to insights like this by tracking your investment portfolio with Sharesight. Built for the needs of investors like you:
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Sharesight automatically tracks your daily price & currency fluctuations, as well as handles corporate actions such as dividends and share splits
- Run powerful tax reports built for investors, including, Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada) Traders Tax (NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
What is debt recycling and how does it work?
Debt recycling is a process that can potentially make you more money by turning non-deductible debt into deductible debt. How does it work? Keep reading.
Top 50 finance and investing podcasts in 2023
The Sharesight team has put together a list of the top 50 investing, personal finance and business news podcasts worldwide.
How one investor uses Sharesight to understand her true performance
Part of our Sharesight customer experience series, this video features Nikky W., an investor who has been tracking her portfolio with Sharesight since 2020.