Sharesight20 top 20 trades on ASX & NZX - May 2020
Disclaimer: The below article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. Please check with your financial adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
Welcome to the May 2020 edition of the Sharesight20 monthly trading snapshot, where we look at the top 20 trades on both the ASX and NZX made by Sharesight users during the month. In May we saw a return to growth stocks and index based ETFs as interest in bear themed ETFs fell away.
Here’s May’s top ASX and NZX trades.
In May’s Sharesight20ASX snapshot the crown for the most traded stock again went to S&P ASX 300 index tracking ETF Vanguard Australian Shares (ASX: VAS) with investor confidence continuing to rebound. Interest in the two bear themed ETFs we first saw in March (ASX: BBOZ) & (ASX: BBUS) continued to fall away, with only the BetaShares Aust Strong Bear ETF remaining in our 20 this month.
Let’s look at the news behind the other key stocks in this month’s snapshot:
- Webjet share price jumps 25%: Is it good value?
- New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian has reconfirmed her support for a trans-Tasman bubble
- ASX climbs 2.2pc to 11-week high, buoyed by travel stocks
- Is it too early to buy Webjet shares?
- Why travel industry shares like Webjet (WEB) are soaring
- Afterpay's US customer surge creates risks
- Ticketek will be the first ticketing platform to integrate with Afterpay
- Afterpay to be included in the MSCI Australia Index
- Afterpay offers COVID-19 support to the retail community and customers
- Afterpay director heads for the hills
- Joe Hockey to join Macquarie in the USA
- Macquarie taps five managers for capital top-up
- Macquarie profits down 13% for 2H20
- Economic snapback 'unlikely' as deal flow slows: Macquarie
- Fitch downgrades Macquarie over earnings fears
- Fitch: Macquarie Bank covered bonds unaffected by bank rating action
- Commonwealth Bank temporarily closes 114 branches, 500 staff affected due to coronavirus impacts
- Commonwealth Bank CTO snapped up by Google
- Commonwealth Bank steps up efforts to keep clients afloat
- Commonwealth Bank reveals new chief digital officer
- Flight Centre to close stores in South Africa as it feels the force of Covid-19
- Flight Centre sells on St Kilda Road headquarters for $62.15m
- Flight Centre bows to fee storm, avoids ACCC lawsuit
- Flight Centre's cancellation fee backflip could cost $80 million
- Flight Centre’s COVID-19 response was a flight plan to failure
- Are Flight Centre, Helloworld, Webjet and Corporate Travel Management turnaround investments?
- Flawed office complicates Flight Centre founder's philanthropy
Travel stocks all placed highly in our snapshot of the NZX this month, with a mixture of growth opportunities and value on offer.
- Auckland Airport begins runway pavement replacement work
- Confidence in airports despite COVID-19 closures
- Auckland Airport ready for surge in travellers as Air New Zealand anticipates Alert Level 2 bookings boost
- Australia and New Zealand to test air-travel corridor in weeks
- Air New Zealand CEO culls executive team
- Air New Zealand customers can now donate points to charity
- Air New Zealand pushes back international schedule resumption, defers aircraft deliveries
- Impatient passengers ‘break every rule’ on Air NZ flight
- Air New Zealand prepares for $560 million loss, massive changes
- Kathmandu to reopen Australian stores this weekend (May 5th)
- Kathmandu, Adairs reopen as spending freeze starts to thaw
- Kathmandu sees 2.5x growth in this one area
- Kathmandu manager claims he was unfairly dismissed
Have you seen our Sharesight20 top 20 trades data for the 2019 calendar year across exchanges in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA yet? You can read our 2019 Sharesight20 updates here:
- Top 20 trades on the ASX in 2019 - Sharesight20
- Top 20 trades on the NASDAQ in 2019 - Sharesight20
- Top 20 trades on the NYSE in 2019 - Sharesight20
- Top 20 trades on the NZX in 2019 - Sharesight20
- Top 20 trades on the TSX/TSE in 2019 - Sharesight20
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including Performance, Portfolio Diversity, Contribution Analysis and Future Income (upcoming dividends)
- Run tax reports including Taxable Income (dividends/distributions), Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada), Traders Tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.