Track fractional shares on any stock exchange
Sharesight has expanded our support for tracking fractional share trades on markets that support it to also include support for fractional shares on exchanges that may only permit trading in whole share units.
While you may not be able to purchase fractional shares on all exchanges (for instance, the NZX or ASX), there are some instances where investors could need to track fractional quantities. Most commonly this will arise when investing through a robo-advisor or micro savings/investment apps like Raiz (formerly Acorns Australia), Sharesies in New Zealand, or Wealthsimple that allocate fractions of ETFs to investors to invest the full amount "saved".
Tracking fractional shares with Sharesight
- AMEX (NYSE American)
- ASX (Australian Stock Exchange)
- BIT (Borsa Italiana)
- BME (Bolsa de Madrid)
- BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange)
- CNSX (Canadian Securities Exchange)
- CVE (Toronto TSX Ventures Exchange)
- FRA (Frankfurt Stock Exchange)
- HKG (Hong Kong Stock Exchange)
- JSE (Johannesburg Stock Exchange)
- LSE (London Stock Exchange)
- NSE (National Stock Exchange)
- NYSE (New York Stock Exchange)
- NZX (New Zealand Stock Exchange)
- SGX (Singapore Stock Exchange)
- SWX (Swiss Exchange)
- OTC (Over the Counter)
- OTCBB (Over the Counter Bulletin Board)
- TSE (Toronto Stock Exchange)
- TYO (Tokyo Stock Exchange)
Aside from the circumstances above that may result in being allocated fractional quantities of shares, fractional shares offer investors the following benefits/caveats:
- Lets you put your cash to work immediately (rather than waiting to buy a whole share)
- Helps you best balance your portfolio allocation (single units of a highly-priced share can distort small portfolios)
- Allows you to make the most of dollar cost averaging
- If you own less than 1 share, you typically can’t vote in company elections
- Rounding may impact your ability to receive dividends - if you own 10% of a share, and that share pays a 1 cent dividend, you may not receive a dividend payment at all
- Brokers that offer fractional share quantities may charge additional fees for the service
Track fractional investments with Sharesight, the award winning portfolio tracker built for investors like you:
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Sharesight automatically tracks your daily price & currency fluctuations, as well as handles corporate actions such as dividends and share splits
- Run powerful tax reports built for investors, including, Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada) Traders Tax (NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
Top 20 ASX trades by Sharesight users – September 2023
Welcome to the September 2023 edition of Sharesight’s monthly ASX trading snapshot, where we look at the top 20 trades Sharesight users made on the ASX.
Top 20 NZX trades by Sharesight users – September 2023
Welcome to the September 2023 edition of Sharesight’s monthly NZX trading snapshot, where we look at the top 20 trades Sharesight users made on the NZX.
Get ausbiz market insights in Sharesight
Stay on top of your ASX investments with convenient access to the ausbiz news feed, right in your Sharesight portfolio.