Sharesight users' top 20 trades in LSE stocks for 2022
Each year, Sharesight looks back at the top 20 buy and sell trades made by Sharesight users throughout the year. Welcome to the 2022 edition of our annual trading snapshot, where for the first time, we explore the top trades users made in stocks on the London Stock Exchange (LSE), plus the market-moving news behind some of these stocks.
In this annual snapshot, trades were led by British American Tobacco (LSE: BATS), which saw its share price skyrocket at the beginning of 2022, remaining fairly steady throughout the rest of the year. Trades were followed by Reckitt Benckiser Group (LSE: RKT), which saw its share price fluctuate throughout the year, ultimately ending the year down over 6% (as at the time of publishing). It was a varied year overall, with the top trades spanning the consumer goods, biopharma, financial services, mining and metals, oil and gas, telecommunications and aerospace sectors.
Let’s look at the news behind some of the key stocks in this year’s snapshot:
- February: Vapes and heated tobacco responsible for BAT’s strong 2021 sales
- March: BAT scales down Russian operations
- July: BAT loses £957 million from Russia exit
- November: Invests in US CBD specialist Charlotte’s Web
- December: Expects 2-4% FY sales growth due to strong sales of e-cigarettes
- April: Reckitt beats Q1 revenue estimates due to pricing hikes
- July: Reckitt raises sales forecast as consumers absorb higher prices
- September: Reckitt CEO steps down
- October: Expects Q3 sales slow down as consumers continue to absorb price hikes
- February: GSK and Sanofi seek approval for new COVID vaccine to prevent severe cases
- July: GSK spins off consumer health business Haleon
- September: WHO awards prequalification to GSK’s malaria vaccine
- December: Shares surge as US judge rejects Zantac cancer claims
- January: ASOS moves listing to London’s main stock market
- June: ASOS share price plummets to multi-year low
- October: Share price rises 10% following full-year results
- December: Interim CEO Katy Mecklenburgh to step down
- March: Legal & General records 11% jump in annual operating profit
- May: Forms US$4 billion partnership with Ancora in science and tech space
- October: Legal & General reassures investors amid pension fund volatility
- November: Loses £10 million in pension market volatility
- February: Lloyds completes £390 million acquisition of Embark Group
- March: Plans to close 60 branches across the UK
- October: Lloyds share price drops ahead of windfall tax
- November: Share price rises as bank profit surcharge is cut to 3%
- January: Unilever makes three bids for GSK’s consumer goods division
- May: Share price rises as billionaire investor Nelson Peltz joins Unilever board
- September: Unilever CEO Alan Jope announces plan to retire next year
- October: Nineteen Unilever products recalled due to presence of cancer-causing chemical
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including performance, portfolio diversity, contribution analysis and future income
- Run tax reports including taxable income (dividends/distributions), capital gains tax (Australia and Canada), traders tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a specific product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. While we use reasonable endeavours to keep the information up-to-date, we make no representation that any information is accurate or up-to-date. If you choose to make use of the content in this article, you do so at your own risk. To the extent permitted by law, we do not assume any responsibility or liability arising from or connected with your use or reliance on the content on our site. Please check with your adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
Top 20 trades in US stocks by Sharesight users – November 2023
Welcome to the November 2023 edition of Sharesight’s monthly USA trading snapshot, where we look at Sharesight users’ top 20 trades in US stocks.
Top 20 ASX trades by Sharesight users – November 2023
Welcome to the November 2023 edition of Sharesight’s monthly ASX trading snapshot, where we look at the top 20 trades Sharesight users made on the ASX.
Emotionally intelligent investing: How to make smarter decisions
We explain some of the common pitfalls investors face when making decisions, and what you can do to become a more emotionally intelligent investor.