Sharesight users' top 20 trades in TSE stocks for 2022
Each year, Sharesight looks back at the top 20 buy and sell trades made by Sharesight users throughout the year. Welcome to the 2022 edition of our annual trading snapshot, where for the first time, we explore the top trades users made in stocks on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSE or TSX), plus the market-moving news behind some of these stocks.
In this annual snapshot, trades were led by Enbridge (TSE: ENB), which saw its share price fluctuate throughout 2022, ultimately ending the year up by 6% (as at the time of publishing). Trades were followed by Bank of Nova Scotia (TSE: BNS), which saw its share price plummet in 2022, ending the year down over 28%. Overall, it was a year dominated by trades in banking and financial services stocks, with seven of the top 20 trades belonging to stocks in these sectors.
Let’s look at the news behind some of the key stocks in this year’s snapshot:
- February: Enbridge reports strong profit fuelled by rise in oil volumes
- August: Enbridge acquires 30% stake in Woodfibre LNG
- September: Acquires US green power company Tri Global
- October: Appoints Greg Ebel as new CEO
- November: Enbridge profit rises due to strong energy demand
- March: Enters agreement with Grupo Said to acquire firm’s 16.8% stake in Scotiabank Chile
- April: Scotiabank CEO condemns government bank tax
- May: Exceeds Q2 profit estimates; flags challenges ahead
- August: Misses Q3 profit estimates due to drop in capital markets income
- November: Share price rises 6.5% in November
- February: TD to acquire First Horizon for US$13.4 billion
- July: TD explores takeover of US brokerage firm Cowen
- August: Confirms plan to buy Cowen for US$1.3 billion
- December: Q4 profit beats expectations
- May: Telus plans to invest C$11 billion in Quebec to generate jobs
- August: Net income skyrockets 45% in Q2 due to rise in mobile, internet customers
- September: Completes C$2.3 billion acquisition of LifeWorks
- November: Tribunal finds evidence of Telus’ interference in Rogers-Shaw merger
- February: Suncor CEO vows to fix company’s safety and operational problems
- July: Suncor CEO steps down following latest oil sands mine fatality
- August: Suncor’s Q2 profit increases fourfold; plans to divest assets
- November: Forecasts higher spend in 2023, fuelled by higher inflation, rising interest rates and geopolitical tensions
- January: CNR forecasts higher spending, production in 2022
- March: Exceeds quarterly profit estimates, raises dividend
- August: CNR’s Q2 profit skyrockets by 125%, company announces special dividend
- November: Beats quarterly profit expectations again, raises dividend
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including performance, portfolio diversity, contribution analysis and future income
- Run tax reports including taxable income (dividends/distributions), capital gains tax (Australia and Canada), traders tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a specific product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. While we use reasonable endeavours to keep the information up-to-date, we make no representation that any information is accurate or up-to-date. If you choose to make use of the content in this article, you do so at your own risk. To the extent permitted by law, we do not assume any responsibility or liability arising from or connected with your use or reliance on the content on our site. Please check with your adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
How InstructAnt improves client service with Sharesight and AdviserLogic
We talk to InstructAnt, a small accounting and financial planning firm that uses the Sharesight/AdviserLogic integration to improve client service.
Australian ETF distribution components now available for FY22/23
Sharesight now has updated ETF distribution component information for the FY22/23 Australian tax year for most Australian ETFs.
Sharesight product updates – September 2023
Major updates for the past month include the rollout of our new exposure report, plus support for five new brokers and over 80,000 Luxembourg funds.