Sharesight20 top 20 trades on ASX & NZX - June 2018
Welcome to the June 2018 edition of the Sharesight20 monthly trading snapshot (click here for last month’s Sharesight20), where we look at the top 20 trades on both the ASX and NZX markets among the Sharesight userbase during the current month, and dig a little deeper into the news behind these movements.
Also for those who are curious, we’ve just done a deep dive into the top 20 shares traded on the ASX for the entire 2017/18 financial year. But first, let’s dive into June’s top trades.
Sharesight20ASX June Snapshot
Telstra (ASX: TLS) again tops our monthly snapshot, with significant trading activity as a result of their 2020 strategy and restructure announcement. Key highlights include:
Telstra Corporation (ASX: TLS)
- Telstra 2022 strategy announced: “Telstra sets new strategy to improve customer experience, simplify structure and cut costs”
- News outlets focused on the 8000 job cuts involved
- This further hurt Telstra’s share price with fears of a cut in dividends
Commonwealth Bank (ASX: CBA)
- Reached a settlement with ASIC over trading of bank bills in connection with the Bank Bill Swap Rate (BBSW)
- Announced the bank sent 10,000 customers’ data to the wrong email addresses
- Announced new executive leadership team appointments
- CBA to demerge wealth and mortgage broking businesses - possibly to get ahead of any recommendations by the Banking Royal Commission to force such actions
Ramsay Health Care (ASX: RHC)
National Australia Bank (ASX: NAB)
- NAB welcomed the Australian Government’s new Open Banking initiative
- Changed remuneration policies for frontline employees to improve service levels as part of NAB’s Group Short Term Incentive (STI) Plan
Santos Ltd (ASX: STO)
- Quadrant Energy acquisition talk puts focus on Santos’s ambitions
- Santos flags resumption of dividends in August under new payout policy
REA Group (ASX: REA)
- REA Group Asia Singapore and Malaysia CEO, left the company to join Autodesk, Inc.
- REA Group completed Hometrack acquisition
Sharesight20NZX June 2018 Snapshot
June was a massive month for ETFs, with the top three places all claimed by index tracking funds. Not only this, a further seven ETFs made it into the top 20 most traded shares by investors using Sharesight.
A2 Milk Company (NZX: A2M)
- 7 Key decisions on a2 Milk’s road to success: Livewire
- Dr Karl explains the difference between A1 and A2 milk
- Agribusiness expert Keith Woodford says within the next five years China could be accepting only A2 milk products
- BlackRock discloses 5 percent stake in NZ’s a2 Milk
- a2 Milk releases premium Mānuka honey milk powder
Pushpay Holdings (ASX: PPH)
- Shares hit an all time high in early June
- Shares placed into a trading halt pending a ‘material transaction’ June 18
- CEO and founder Eliot Crowther exited his holding of PPH shares worth some $100 million
Restaurant Brands NZ (NZX: RBD)
- Restaurant Brands signed Pizza Hut master franchise deal with Yum! for NZ market
- Reaffirmed guidance for annual earnings to rise 10%
Don’t miss the Sharesight20 weekly market snapshots
Want the weekly Sharesight20 ASX and NZX weekly trading snapshots every Monday? Join the Sharesight community and follow the NZX and ASX Sharesight20 threads to make sure you don’t miss out on a weekly snapshot.