Sharesight20 top 20 trades on NZX – January 2021
Disclaimer: The below article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. Always check with your financial adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
Welcome to the January 2021 edition of the Sharesight20NZX monthly trading snapshot, where we look at the top 20 trades on the NZX made by Sharesight users during the month.
Sharesight20 top 20 NZX trades January 2021
In January’s Sharesight20NZX snapshot, buy trades were led by the Smartshares NZ Top 50 (NZX: FNZ) and US 500 (NZX: USF) ETFs, followed by a2 Milk (NZX: ATM), which is recovering from a two-year low in its share price. At the same time, sell trades were led by Meridian Energy (NZX: MEL), which has recently seen a surge in its share price due to its inclusion in clean energy ETFs.
Let’s look at the news behind the key stocks in this month’s snapshot:
a2 Milk (NZX: ATM)
- a2 one step closer to acquiring majority of Mataura Valley Milk
- Goldman Sachs downgrades a2 Milk shares following FY21 guidance
Meridian Energy (NZX: MEL)
- Meridian Energy shares surge 10% on investment from clean energy ETFs
- Rio Tinto to take over operations at Meridian-run Tiwai Point Aluminium Smelter
- Tiwai Point smelter will now be ‘very profitable’, says Meridian CEO
Oceania Healthcare (NZX: OCA)
- Sales up 44% for Oceania Healthcare
- Steady demand for aged care and retirement units driving up Oceania’s profit
- Oceania calls for aged care residents and employees to top priority list for COVID-19 vaccine
Air New Zealand (NZX: AIR)
- Airlines need $600m to keep air links to NZ open, says airline group
- Air NZ extends limited international schedule until June
- Air NZ considering adoption of COVID-19 digital health passport
Pushpay Holdings (NZX: PPH)
- Pushpay exceeds expectations for December 2020 performance
- Share price grew by 80% in 2020
- Pushpay announces new CEO Molly Matthews
Track your investment portfolio with Sharesight
Get access to Sharesight20 insights like this by tracking your investment portfolio with Sharesight. Built for the needs of investors like you:
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including Performance, Portfolio Diversity, Contribution Analysis and Future Income
- Run tax reports including Taxable Income (dividends/distributions), Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada), Traders Tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
What is debt recycling and how does it work?
Debt recycling is a process that can potentially make you more money by turning non-deductible debt into deductible debt. How does it work? Keep reading.
Top 50 finance and investing podcasts in 2023
The Sharesight team has put together a list of the top 50 investing, personal finance and business news podcasts worldwide.
How one investor uses Sharesight to understand her true performance
Part of our Sharesight customer experience series, this video features Nikky W., an investor who has been tracking her portfolio with Sharesight since 2020.