Top 20 trades in US stocks by Sharesight users – April 2022
Welcome to the April 2022 edition of Sharesight’s monthly USA trading snapshot, where we look at Sharesight users’ top 20 trades in US stocks on the Nasdaq, NYSE and NYSE American market (AMEX) over the month.
In this snapshot, buy and sell trades were strongly led by Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA), which has lost US$126 billion due to backlash over CEO Elon Musk’s plans to buy Twitter. Trades were followed by Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL), which is expected to release its quarterly earnings report later this month. Overall, this month’s top 20 trades were highly weighted towards tech stocks, with FAANG stocks at the top of the list.
Top 20 US stock trades April 2022
Let’s look at the news behind some of the key stocks in this month’s snapshot:
Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA)
- Tesla loses US$126 billion as investors worry about Musk’s Twitter takeover
- Tesla announces expansion of virtual power plant to new Australian regions
- Ford plans to challenge Tesla as global EV leader
Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT)
- Cloud business continues to propel Microsoft, according to Q3 earnings report
- Shares surge following strong Q3 earnings
- Microsoft acquires process mining tech company Minit
Meta (NYSE: FB)
- Meta to open physical store in California selling virtual reality products
- Another challenging quarter ahead for Meta
- Zuckerberg plans to develop virtual coins for Facebook and Instagram users
Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX)
- Netflix shares drop 39% as 200,000 subscribers jump ship
- Plans to crack down on password sharing in response to slowing revenue growth
- Netflix to drop 90% of upcoming Indian content due to poor subscriber numbers and lagging profits
Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN)
- Pension fund trustees take on Amazon corporate board over mistreatment of warehouse workers
- Amazon permanently lifts mobile phone ban for workers
- Will Amazon’s share price rise following its upcoming stock split?
Alibaba (NYSE: BABA)
- Alibaba joins low carbon patent pledge to promote green technology
- Alibaba share price up following central bank’s vow to support businesses
- Stock hits a six-year low as Chinese COVID situation weighs on stock market
PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL)
- PayPal’s Q1 revenue beats expectations
- PayPal cuts 2022 guidance after slowest Q1 in five years
- Share price rises despite reduced 2022 guidance figures
Shopify (NYSE: SHOP)
- Shopify stock plummets 18% in a week following Amazon’s "Buy with Prime" announcement
- Announces 10-for-1 stock split
- Shopify stock down as war weakens consumer sentiment
Track your investment portfolio with Sharesight
Get access to Sharesight20 insights like this by tracking your investment portfolio with Sharesight. Built for the needs of investors like you:
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including Performance, Portfolio Diversity, Contribution Analysis and Future Income
- Run tax reports including Taxable Income (dividends/distributions), Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada), Traders Tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
Disclaimer: The above article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a specific product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. While we use reasonable endeavours to keep the information up-to-date, we make no representation that any information is accurate or up-to-date. If you choose to make use of the content in this article, you do so at your own risk. To the extent permitted by law, we do not assume any responsibility or liability arising from or connected with your use or reliance on the content on our site. Please check with your adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
What is debt recycling and how does it work?
Debt recycling is a process that can potentially make you more money by turning non-deductible debt into deductible debt. How does it work? Keep reading.
Top 50 finance and investing podcasts in 2023
The Sharesight team has put together a list of the top 50 investing, personal finance and business news podcasts worldwide.
How one investor uses Sharesight to understand her true performance
Part of our Sharesight customer experience series, this video features Nikky W., an investor who has been tracking her portfolio with Sharesight since 2020.