Sharesight users' top 20 trades in NZX stocks for 2022
Each year, Sharesight looks back at the top 20 buy and sell trades made by Sharesight users throughout the year. Welcome to the 2022 edition of our annual trading snapshot, where we explore the top trades users made in stocks on the NZX this year, plus the market-moving news behind some of these stocks.
Sharesight users’ top 20 NZX trades in 2022
In this yearly snapshot, trades were strongly led by Smartshares’ US 500 (NZX: USF) and NZ Top 50 (NZX: FNZ) ETFs.
In terms of individual stocks, trades were led by Air New Zealand (NZX: AIR), which experienced a significant drop in its share price during the May-July period, ultimately seeing its share price decline by over 19% since the beginning of 2022 (as at the time of publishing).
Trades were followed by Mainfreight (NZX: MFT), which saw a steady decline in its share price throughout the year, with a decline of over 28% since the beginning of 2022.
It was a varied year overall, with the top trades spanning stocks in the aviation, logistics, healthcare, utilities and infrastructure sectors.
Let’s look at the news behind some of the key stocks in this year’s snapshot:
Air New Zealand (NZX: AIR)
- January: Air NZ announces two executive team appointments
- February: Air NZ records NZ$376 million loss for Q2 2021; predicts worse to come in 2022
- March: Air NZ seeking to raise over NZ$2 billion to bolster balance sheet
- April: Reveals four-year investment plan for airport base
- May: Air NZ completes NZ$1.2 billion capital raise
- July: Share price drops following announcement of expected loss of NZ$750 million for the financial year
- August: Air NZ posts third straight annual loss; sees potential for rebound in 2023
- September: Share price up 9% following guidance update
- October: Troubles continue for Air NZ’s "direct" New York flight
- November: Air NZ sees strong demand continuing despite tough economic conditions
- December: Boosts half-year earnings guidance for FY23 due to growing demand
Mainfreight (NZX: MFT)
- January: Mainfreight MD assures that company will keep trucks at full capacity during Omicron outbreak
- February: Mainfreight shares surge on the back of soaring profit
- March: Mainfreight suspends services in and out of Russia
- July: Pays workers NZ$94 million-worth of bonuses as profits boom
- August: Trading update shows rapid profit growth for Mainfreight
- October: Mainfreight raises half-year outlook ahead of earnings results
- November: Share price falls despite half-year revenue growth of 32%
Ebos Group (NZX: EBO)
- January: Ebos plans to buy LifeHealthcare for AU$1.16 billion
- February: Ebos posts record half-year earnings results
- October: Ebos CEO gets 58% pay increase
- November: Leads NZX higher as stocks rally on positive US inflation data
Spark New Zealand (NZX: SPK)
- March: Spark acquires significant share in environmental IoT company Adroit
- April: Spark commences partial cell tower network sale
- July: Spark plans to sell 70% of TowerCo for NZ$900 million
- September: Spark joins the ASX 200
- October: Finalises sale of 70% of its mobile tower network
- December: Spark exits sports streaming, TVNZ takes over rights
Warehouse Group (NZX: WHS)
- January: Warehouse Group reveals decreased sales in peak Christmas period
- April: Warehouse CEO optimistic about company’s prospects despite previous failures
- May: Warehouse Group releases Q3 sales update with mixed results
- November: Warehouse Group announces record Q1 sales
Heartland Group (NZX: HGH)
- May: Heartland appoints new CEO
- June: Heartland acquires livestock finance provider StockCo Australia
- September: Posts record NZ$95.1 million profit
- October: Heartland to buy Australian bank Challenger in NZ$40 million deal
Track your investment portfolio with Sharesight
Get access to Sharesight20 insights like this by tracking your investment portfolio with Sharesight. Built for the needs of investors like you:
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including performance, portfolio diversity, contribution analysis and future income
- Run tax reports including taxable income (dividends/distributions), capital gains tax (Australia and Canada), traders tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a specific product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. While we use reasonable endeavours to keep the information up-to-date, we make no representation that any information is accurate or up-to-date. If you choose to make use of the content in this article, you do so at your own risk. To the extent permitted by law, we do not assume any responsibility or liability arising from or connected with your use or reliance on the content on our site. Please check with your adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
Top 20 ASX trades by Sharesight users – May 2023
Welcome to the May 2023 edition of Sharesight’s monthly ASX trading snapshot, where we look at the top 20 trades Sharesight users made on the ASX.
Track Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies with Sharesight
Investors can automatically track more than 100 leading cryptocurrencies in Sharesight, with prices updated every five minutes.
How SMSF trustees can get EOFY-ready
Keep reading to learn more about how Sharesight saves SMSF trustees time and money at tax time, and how trustees can get EOFY-ready with Sharesight.