Top 20 ASX trades by Sharesight users – April 2023
Welcome to the April 2023 edition of Sharesight’s monthly ASX trading snapshot, where we look at the top 20 trades Sharesight users made on the ASX during the month.
In this snapshot, trades were strongly led by Vanguard’s Australian Shares Index ETF (ASX: VAS). In terms of individual equities, trades were led by Pilbara Minerals (ASX: PLS), which recently received board approval to invest in the increase of its nameplate spodumene concentrate production capacity. The top trades were followed by BHP (ASX: BHP), whose latest quarterly earnings fell slightly short of expectations. It was a strong month for mining stocks overall, with 8 of the top 20 stocks belonging to the mining and mineral resources sector.
Top 20 ASX trades April 2023
Let’s look at the news behind some of the key stocks in this month’s snapshot:
Pilbara Minerals (ASX: PLS)
- Broker forecasts 40% upside for Pilbara shares
- Pilbara share price drops amid falling lithium prices
- Pilbara share price rises following board’s approval of Pilgan Plant investment
BHP (ASX: BHP)
- BHP’s latest quarterly earnings fall slightly short of expectations
- Share price falls amid reduced production targets
- BHP counting on China rebound to boost iron ore demand
Woodside Energy (ASX: WDS)
- Broker "cautious" about Woodside’s Scarborough project ahead of AGM
- Could petroleum tax changes put Woodside’s dividends at risk?
- Woodside CEO assures shareholders that stalled Browse LNG project is still "very attractive"
ANZ (ASX: ANZ)
- Broker cites ANZ as its top pick in ASX 200 banking sector
- Share price rises on news of potential Suncorp Bank takeover
- ANZ eliminates cash deposits and withdrawals from a number of branches
Newcrest Mining (ASX: NCM)
- Newmont Mining makes third and final offer in Newcrest takeover bid
- Share price rises following improved takeover bid
- Newcrest and Harmony Gold sign MOU to progress PNG gold project
Lynas Rare Earths (ASX: LYC)
- Lynas reveals more than 27% drop in Q3 revenue
- Lynas’ AU$575 million Kalgoorlie-Boulder processing plant nearing completion
- Launches appeal against Malaysian rare earth processing ban
Fortescue Metals (ASX: FMG)
- Fortescue share price drops following soft Q3 results
- Reports major milestone at Iron Bridge project
- Fortescue produces first hydrogen electrolyser prototype; plans to begin production in QLD this year
Track your investment portfolio with Sharesight
Get access to Sharesight20 insights like this by tracking your investment portfolio with Sharesight. Built for the needs of investors like you:
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including performance, portfolio diversity, contribution analysis, multi-period, multi-currency valuation and future income
- Run tax reports including taxable income (dividends/distributions), Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada), Traders Tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
Disclaimer: The above article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a specific product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. While we use reasonable endeavours to keep the information up-to-date, we make no representation that any information is accurate or up-to-date. If you choose to make use of the content in this article, you do so at your own risk. To the extent permitted by law, we do not assume any responsibility or liability arising from or connected with your use or reliance on the content on our site. Please check with your adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
Crypto tax: What Australian investors need to know
Cryptocurrency is an increasingly popular asset for investors, but with this comes the need to understand what crypto trading means for your tax obligations.
Sharesight release notes – May 2023
For May, key updates include a huge expansion of our crypto support, a new wizard to bulk upload custom investment prices, and support for another 56 countries.
Save time and money by sharing your portfolio with your accountant
It's easy to save time and money at tax time by sharing access to your Sharesight portfolio with your accountant. Keep reading to learn more.