Top 20 ASX trades by Sharesight users – March 2023
Welcome to the March 2023 edition of Sharesight’s monthly ASX trading snapshot, where we look at the top 20 trades Sharesight users made on the ASX during the month.
In this snapshot, buy trades were strongly led by Vanguard’s Australian Shares Index ETF (ASX: VAS), followed by Betashares’ Australia 200 ETF (ASX: A200). In terms of individual shares, buy and sell trades were led by Pilbara Minerals (ASX: PLS), which saw its share price surge alongside other ASX lithium stocks due to growing investor sentiment in March. It was a mining and banking-heavy month overall, with 10 of the top 20 trades belonging to the mining, mineral resources and banking sectors.
Top 20 ASX trades March 2023
Let’s look at the news behind some of the key stocks in this month’s snapshot:
Pilbara Minerals (ASX: PLS)
- Pilbara share price surges as lithium investor sentiment soars
- Broker tips 100% return from Pilbara shares
- Chinese investor offloads AU$600 million-worth of Pilbara shares
Woodside Energy (ASX: WDS)
- Woodside seeks shareholder approval for CEO bonus; pay rise for directors
- Share price plunges as Woodside trades ex-dividend
- Woodside CEO sells off almost AU$250,000-worth of shares
Macquarie Group (ASX: MQG)
- Macquarie share price slides; broker tips 24% upside
- Macquarie eyes AU$8.9 billion takeover bid for M&G
- Announces investment in US fibre business Pavlov Media
BHP (ASX: BHP)
- BHP share price falters amid concerns over super-profit tax
- Signs carbon capture pilot agreement with Chinese steelmaker
- BHP attracts dozens of interested buyers for QLD coal mines
Westpac (ASX: WBC)
- Westpac share price down 6% in March
- Westpac CEO says Australian banks remain resilient
- House repossessions near GFC level, says Westpac CEO
Lynas Rare Earths (ASX: LYC)
- Lynas share price plunges 20% in a month
- Secures AU$200 million funding from Japan to increase output
- Partners with KBULG to revegetate Kalgoorlie-Boulder processing plant site
Mineral Resources (ASX: MIN)
- Mineral Resources reveals strong half-year results
- Shares slide following announcement of Norwest takeover bid
- Broker forecasts 21% upside for Mineral Resources
Track your investment portfolio with Sharesight
Get access to Sharesight20 insights like this by tracking your investment portfolio with Sharesight. Built for the needs of investors like you:
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including performance, portfolio diversity, contribution analysis, multi-period, multi-currency valuation and future income
- Run tax reports including taxable income (dividends/distributions), Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada), Traders Tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
Disclaimer: The above article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a specific product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. While we use reasonable endeavours to keep the information up-to-date, we make no representation that any information is accurate or up-to-date. If you choose to make use of the content in this article, you do so at your own risk. To the extent permitted by law, we do not assume any responsibility or liability arising from or connected with your use or reliance on the content on our site. Please check with your adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
Crypto tax: What Australian investors need to know
Cryptocurrency is an increasingly popular asset for investors, but with this comes the need to understand what crypto trading means for your tax obligations.
Sharesight release notes – May 2023
For May, key updates include a huge expansion of our crypto support, a new wizard to bulk upload custom investment prices, and support for another 56 countries.
Save time and money by sharing your portfolio with your accountant
It's easy to save time and money at tax time by sharing access to your Sharesight portfolio with your accountant. Keep reading to learn more.