Top 20 ASX trades by Sharesight users – March 2022
Welcome to the March 2022 edition of Sharesight’s monthly ASX trading snapshot, where we look at the top 20 trades Sharesight users made on the ASX during the month.
In this snapshot, buy trades were strongly led by Vanguard’s International Shares ETF (ASX: VGS), followed by the ETF provider’s Australian Shares (ASX: VAS) and Diversified High Growth (ASX: VDHG) ETFs. At the same time, sell trades were led by Woodside Petroleum (ASX: WPL), which is considering a merger with BHP (ASX: BHP) that would make it the largest ASX-listed energy firm. It was a mining-heavy month overall, with seven out of 10 of the top-traded stocks belonging to the mining sector. It was also a strong month for ETFs, with ETFs comprising nine out of 20 of the top trades.
Top 20 ASX trades March 2022
Let’s look at the news behind some of the key stocks in this month’s snapshot:
Woodside Petroleum (ASX: WPL)
- Woodside shareholders to vote on AU$41 billion merger with BHP
- Shares surge as oil price continues to rise
- Mining stocks hit 7-month high on the back of iron ore gains
BHP (ASX: BHP)
- BHP share price rises following broker upgrade
- ATSB delivers findings on BHP’s runaway iron ore train
- Plans to invest US$79 million in Canadian company Filo Mining
Fortescue Metals (ASX: FMG)
- Share price drops as iron ore prices impacted by Chinese COVID surge
- Fortescue discussing green hydrogen opportunities with Egyptian PM
- Iron ore price rallies, pushing up Fortescue share price by 8%
Core Lithium (ASX: CXO)
- Core Lithium MD announces resignation after 12 years with the company; share price drops
- Core Lithium to supply 110,000 tonnes of spodumene concentrate to Tesla
- Share price up 414% YoY
Macquarie Group (ASX: MQG)
- Macquarie buys stake in National Grid’s gas transmission business
- Share price rallies 9% in March
- Plans to launch an offshore wind energy business
Lake Resources (ASX: LKE)
- Lake Resources raises AU$39 million to support rapid expansion
- Share price skyrockets 30% in one week as investors bid up shares following positive announcements
- Share price hits record high; up 70% in a month
Nickel Mines Limited (ASX: NIC)
- Nickel Mines share price plummets despite nickel prices hitting an all-time high
- Withdraws share purchase plan; share price rises
- Leading broker suggests potential 40% upside for Nickel Mines
Zip Co (ASX: Z1P)
- Zip Co announces plan to merge with Sezzle
- Plans to raise almost AU$200 million to strengthen balance sheet; accelerate growth
- Zip shares drop 7.6% following share purchase plan announcement
Track your investment portfolio with Sharesight
Get access to Sharesight20 insights like this by tracking your investment portfolio with Sharesight. Built for the needs of investors like you:
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including Performance, Portfolio Diversity, Contribution Analysis and Future Income
- Run tax reports including Taxable Income (dividends/distributions), Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada), Traders Tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
Disclaimer: The above article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a specific product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. While we use reasonable endeavours to keep the information up-to-date, we make no representation that any information is accurate or up-to-date. If you choose to make use of the content in this article, you do so at your own risk. To the extent permitted by law, we do not assume any responsibility or liability arising from or connected with your use or reliance on the content on our site. Please check with your adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
What is debt recycling and how does it work?
Debt recycling is a process that can potentially make you more money by turning non-deductible debt into deductible debt. How does it work? Keep reading.
Top 50 finance and investing podcasts in 2023
The Sharesight team has put together a list of the top 50 investing, personal finance and business news podcasts worldwide.
How one investor uses Sharesight to understand her true performance
Part of our Sharesight customer experience series, this video features Nikky W., an investor who has been tracking her portfolio with Sharesight since 2020.