Top 20 ASX trades by Sharesight users – October 2021
Welcome to the October 2021 edition of Sharesight’s monthly ASX trading snapshot, where we look at the top 20 trades Sharesight users made on the ASX during the month.
In this snapshot, buy trades were led by Vanguard’s Australian Shares (ASX: VAS) and International Shares (ASX: VGS) ETFs. Sell trades were led by Commonwealth Bank (ASX: CBA), which has confirmed its plans to close its financial advice business; followed by Fortescue Metals (ASX: FMG), which has acquired a majority stake in a Dutch renewables business. Overall, it was a varied month for trades on the ASX, with the top 20 trades consisting of ETFs and stocks in the mining, banking, transportation and telco sectors, among others.
Top 20 ASX trades October 2021
Let’s look at the news behind some of the key stocks in this month’s snapshot:
Fortescue Metals (ASX: FMG)
- Fortescue purchases 60% stake in Dutch renewable energy firm
- Threats to commodity drivers put Fortescue shares at risk, says analyst
- Fortescue to power iron ore shipments with green ammonia
BHP (ASX: BHP)
- BHP share price rises as iron ore share price rebounds; broker tips 20% upside
- Reports decline in Australian iron ore shipments
- Announces collaboration with POSCO to develop low-carbon steelmaking tech
Commonwealth Bank (ASX: CBA)
- CBA closes financial advice business
- Discontinues controversial "Dollarmites" program
- Broker tips CBA share price to slide 24% YoY
Flight Centre (ASX: FLT)
- Flight Centre counting on travel rebound as lockdowns lifted; borders soon to reopen
- Share price drops after raising AU$400m in convertibles deal
- Share price falls following Q1 financial results
Whitehaven Coal (ASX: WHC)
- Whitehaven share price falls as China announces new coal industry restrictions
- Releases quarterly report; expects "significant cash generation" over next few months
- Share price down despite promising quarterly results
Woodside Petroleum (ASX: WPL)
- Woodside announces plan to develop AU$1b hydrogen and ammonia plant in Perth
- Further job cuts for Woodside staff amid company restructure
- Share price drops following 27% cut to gas reserves estimate
Aussie Broadband (ASX: ABB)
- Aussie Broadband in talks to buy telco Over The Wire for AU$342m
- NBN bandwidth costs up 137% quarter-on-quarter
- Releases quarterly update; revenue up 11.3%
Pilbara Minerals (ASX: PLS)
- Pilbara finalises deal with POSCO to develop lithium hydroxide conversion facility
- Share price rises following 54% resource upgrade
- Shareholders await Pilbara’s next spodumene auction, hoping for another record-breaker
Track your investment portfolio with Sharesight
Get access to Sharesight20 insights like this by tracking your investment portfolio with Sharesight. Built for the needs of investors like you:
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including Performance, Portfolio Diversity, Contribution Analysis and Future Income
- Run tax reports including Taxable Income (dividends/distributions), Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada), Traders Tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
Disclaimer: The above article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. Always check with your financial adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
Power your financial advice business with Sharesight and AdviserLogic
Sharesight and Morningstar AdviserLogic have partnered to help advisers power their business with comprehensive reporting, research tools, CRM and more.
What is debt recycling and how does it work?
Debt recycling is a process that can potentially make you more money by turning non-deductible debt into deductible debt. How does it work? Keep reading.
Top 50 finance and investing podcasts in 2023
The Sharesight team has put together a list of the top 50 investing, personal finance and business news podcasts worldwide.