Top 20 trades in US stocks by Sharesight users – August 2022
Welcome to the August 2022 edition of Sharesight’s monthly USA trading snapshot, where we look at Sharesight users’ top 20 trades in US stocks on the Nasdaq, NYSE and NYSE American market (AMEX) over the month.
In this snapshot, buy and sell trades were strongly led by Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA), which underwent a 3:1 stock split earlier in the month. Trades were followed by Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL), which has seen its share price climb following news of its move into the digital advertising space. Overall, it was a strong trading month for tech stocks, with 4 of the 5 FAANG stocks present in this month’s top 20 trades, along with a number of other stocks in the IT, semiconductor and e-commerce industries.
Top 20 US stock trades August 2022
Let’s look at the news behind some of the key stocks in this month’s snapshot:
Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA)
- Tesla expected to achieve record month and quarter for vehicle sales
- Musk sells US$6.9 billion-worth of Tesla shares ahead of Twitter lawsuit
- Tesla stock undergoes 3:1 split
Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL)
- Australian regulator threatens to fine Apple over child abuse material on its platforms
- Share price down following reports of alleged antitrust complaint against Apple
- Stock climbs following news of Apple’s growing push into digital advertising space
Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN)
- Amazon signs deal with Plug Power to build QLD "gigafactory"
- Privacy fears over Amazon’s bid to merge with iRobot and One Medical
- Records second quarterly loss in a row but shares jump on strong earnings
Bed Bath & Beyond (NASDAQ: BBBY)
- Bed Bath & Beyond shares drop 40% following exit of activist investor Ryan Cohen
- Meme stock traders drive up Bed Bath & Beyond shares by 29%
- Share price surges ahead of ‘strategic update’
Advanced Micro Devices (NASDAQ: AMD)
- AMD releases strong Q2 earnings report
- AMD rumoured to cut GPU prices in September
- Analysts see potential upside for AMD stock
Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS)
- Disney theme park price strategy is boosting the company’s share price, says report
- Share price shoots up 30% in a month
- Share price spikes as Disney surpasses Netflix in total subscriber numbers
PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL)
- PayPal remains committed to crypto despite major market correction
- Share price surges on news of strategic cost cuts
- PayPal stock is down 48% since the beginning of 2022
Track your investment portfolio with Sharesight
Get access to Sharesight20 insights like this by tracking your investment portfolio with Sharesight. Built for the needs of investors like you:
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including Performance, Portfolio Diversity, Contribution Analysis and Future Income
- Run tax reports including Taxable Income (dividends/distributions), Capital Gains Tax (Australia and Canada), Traders Tax (Capital Gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
Disclaimer: The above article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a specific product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. While we use reasonable endeavours to keep the information up-to-date, we make no representation that any information is accurate or up-to-date. If you choose to make use of the content in this article, you do so at your own risk. To the extent permitted by law, we do not assume any responsibility or liability arising from or connected with your use or reliance on the content on our site. Please check with your adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
What is debt recycling and how does it work?
Debt recycling is a process that can potentially make you more money by turning non-deductible debt into deductible debt. How does it work? Keep reading.
Top 50 finance and investing podcasts in 2023
The Sharesight team has put together a list of the top 50 investing, personal finance and business news podcasts worldwide.
How one investor uses Sharesight to understand her true performance
Part of our Sharesight customer experience series, this video features Nikky W., an investor who has been tracking her portfolio with Sharesight since 2020.