Top 20 trades in US stocks by Sharesight users – April 2023
Welcome to the April 2023 edition of Sharesight’s monthly USA trading snapshot, where we look at Sharesight users’ top 20 trades in US stocks on the Nasdaq, NYSE and NYSE American market (AMEX) over the month.
In this snapshot, trades were strongly led by Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA), which saw its share price plummet due to weak YoY earnings. Trades were followed by Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT), which beat analysts’ expectations in its latest earnings report, sending shares upward. It was a tech-heavy month overall, with 11 of the top 20 stocks belonging to the tech, EV, e-commerce, semiconductor and aerospace industries.
Top 20 US stock trades April 2023
Let’s look at the news behind some of the key stocks in this month’s snapshot:
Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA)
- Tesla share price drops almost 10% due to YoY earnings decline
- Leading advisor raises Tesla price target
- Tesla shareholder group calls for board to reign in "distracted" Elon Musk
Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT)
- Microsoft beats analysts’ expectations in latest earnings report, driving up share prices
- CEO describes Microsoft as platform of choice for ‘next generation of AI’
- Microsoft projects ‘relatively flat’ commercial bookings for Q4
Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN)
- Amazon cuts jobs in HR and cloud divisions
- Share price on watch ahead of Amazon’s Q1 earnings report
- Amazon CEO gets 99% pay cut
NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA)
- NVIDIA share price up 86% YoY
- Bank of America forecasts 23% upside for NVIDIA due to rising AI demand
- NVIDIA shares jump as Microsoft announces increased spending on AI infrastructure
Alphabet (NASDAQ: GOOGL)
- Alphabet beats expectations in Q1 earnings report
- Small gains for Alphabet share price following earnings report
- Announces US$70 billion stock buyback
Meta (NASDAQ: FB)
- Meta stock soars as company reports first revenue growth in almost a year
- Attributes growing ad sales to AI
- Meta starts announcing latest round of layoffs
Alibaba (NYSE: BABA)
- Alibaba plans to roll out ChatGPT rival
- Share price drops after SoftBank sells majority stake
- Alibaba migrates shares to Hong Kong
Track your investment portfolio with Sharesight
Get access to Sharesight20 insights like this by tracking your investment portfolio with Sharesight. Built for the needs of investors like you:
- Track all your investments in one place, including stocks, mutual/managed funds, property, and even cryptocurrency
- Get the true picture of your investment performance, including the impact of brokerage fees, dividends, and capital gains with Sharesight’s annualised performance calculation methodology
- Run powerful reports built for investors, including performance, portfolio diversity, contribution analysis and future income
- Run tax reports including taxable income (dividends/distributions), capital gains tax (Australia and Canada), traders tax (capital gains for traders in NZ) and FIF foreign investment fund income reports (NZ)
Sign up for a FREE Sharesight account and get started tracking your investments today.
Disclaimer: The above article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a specific product recommendation, or taxation or financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. While we use reasonable endeavours to keep the information up-to-date, we make no representation that any information is accurate or up-to-date. If you choose to make use of the content in this article, you do so at your own risk. To the extent permitted by law, we do not assume any responsibility or liability arising from or connected with your use or reliance on the content on our site. Please check with your adviser or accountant to obtain the correct advice for your situation.
Crypto tax: What Australian investors need to know
Cryptocurrency is an increasingly popular asset for investors, but with this comes the need to understand what crypto trading means for your tax obligations.
Sharesight release notes – May 2023
For May, key updates include a huge expansion of our crypto support, a new wizard to bulk upload custom investment prices, and support for another 56 countries.
Save time and money by sharing your portfolio with your accountant
It's easy to save time and money at tax time by sharing access to your Sharesight portfolio with your accountant. Keep reading to learn more.